Dominia: the Open Multiverse Project
The amphibious race of merfolk have skin of ivory, silver, russet, blue, or deep purple. They have long fins for swimming which extend from the backs of their forearms and calves and their fingers and toes are webbed. Though it may appear hair-like, the growths on their heads are either thick and bristly like needles of a sea urchin or long and wavy like seaweed. Male merfolk tend to have these growths extending down their cheekbones as well. Merfolk tend to wear little clothing unless they are wearing battle armor made of nets and bleached seashells with intermittent patches of leather.
- Ability Score Increase: Charisma +1
- Age: Merfolk reach adulthood around 20 and usually live to 150 or more.
- Alignment: Blue mana.
- Languages: Common, Merfolk (Zendikari), and one extra language of your choice (Zendikari).
- Size: 5-6 feet tall, medium.
- Speed: Base 30 feet. Swimming speed of 30 feet.
- Vision: Normal.
- Amphibious: Can breathe air and water.
- Creeds: Merfolk are divided by three guiding principles: Emeria (wind), Ula (water), and Cosi (the trickster). Creeds are chosen upon the merfolk reaching adulthood. Creeds are not hostile to one another but both Emeria and Ula regard Cosi with disdain and suspicion. Those who pick Cosi generally do not advertise this fact. Choose one.
These Merfolk seek wisdom and truth in the Wind Realm by exploring the mystical forces behind historical events, rather than focusing on natural causes. They tend to be evasive and enigmatic in their interactions with others. They have been described as manipulative and intentionally deceptive by others.
- Ability Score Increase: Wisdom +2
- Wind Creed Manipulation: Proficiency with Deception and Persuasion skills.
- Cantrip: You know one cantrip of your choice from the druid spell list. Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for it.
Those who follow the Ula creed stress intellectual pursuits, reason, and hard evidence over passion. They are scholars, chroniclers, explorers and navigators who pride themselves on being blunt and straightforward.
- Ability Score Increase: Intelligence +2
- Water Creed Navigation: Proficiency with navigators’ tools and the Survival skill.
- Cantrip: You know one cantrip of your choice from the wizard spell list. Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for it.
Those who secretly choose to follow the creed of the trickster view Cosi as an ally who can guide them and perhaps give them control over the chaotic forces of the world.
- Ability Score Increase: Charisma +1 and Intelligence +1
- Creed of the Trickster: Proficiency in Sleight of Hand and Stealth skills.
- Cantrip: You know one cantrip of your choice from the bard spell list. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for it.
(Based on Plane Shift: Zendikar)